We couldn’t help but be amused by the name of American Airlines’ “Visit Cuba” program announced today!
Beginning in September 2016 AA has announced that it will offer flights from Miami as follows :
For travel beginning September 7, 2016
▪ Cienfuegos (CFG)
▪ Holguín (HOG)
For travel beginning September 9, 2016
▪ Camagüey (CMW)
▪ Santa Clara (SNU)
For travel beginning September 11, 2016
The airline has not yet announced a schedule to Havana, a flight that will undoubtedly be its most active. Generally, US citizens are not yet free to travel to Cuba strictly for sun and sand, so the flights to vacation spots is not likely to be as important as to the capital in the short term.
The American Airlines site specifies this advice:
Flying to Cuba from or through the U.S. for tourism is not allowed. There are 12 acceptable travel reasons:
▪ Family visits
▪ Official business of the U.S. Government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
▪ Journalistic activities
▪ Professional research or professional meetings
▪ Educational activities and people-to-people exchanges
▪ Religious activities
▪ Public performance, clinics, workshops, athletic or other competitions and exhibitions
▪ Support for the Cuban people
▪ Humanitarian projects
▪ Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
▪ Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials
Travel related to certain authorized export transactions
You can also travel to Cuba with a license issued by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
▪ Apply for an OFAC license
Cuban-born individuals have special visa requirements, regardless of citizenship.
▪ Learn more about Cuban-born requirements